Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Impact of Idaho, Montana & Wyoming

One of the most influential experiences of my life came through a summer job experience while I was a student at Mississippi State University.  In 1988 and 1990, I worked as a seasonal park ranger at Harriman State Park of Idaho. My job was to guide park visitors on nature walks and historical tours of an old cattle ranch turned state park.  I learned how to tell stories, strike up conversations with complete strangers, create multi-media presentations, and many other things that shaped my professional life.

In addition to these valuable experiences, my spiritual life was enriched by the people I met, rangers and their families who became friends, and the beauty of the Rocky Mountains.  It was in Idaho that I began to feel the tug of a call into ministry while I was helping a minister put up a sign for his church.  It was here that my spiritual life deepened through long hours of isolation from people – it doesn’t take long to get away from people in the Northwest.  It was here where I was given direction of what I SHOULD be doing with my life.
   
In the coming week’s I’ll share some of my stories of the people, people and places I experienced such as: what happens when an immature eagle tries to catch a fish bigger than itself; when fishing be careful which fisherman you tell to, “Go find your own fish;" the benefit of carrying thermal underwear in June when visiting Yellowstone National Park; and other stories.  Maybe these stories will make you laugh and maybe they will inspire you to make your own journey to somewhere meaningful to you.  It sure made a huge impact on me.

No comments: